VCT 2D research lab at KAUST (2,690 sq ft) features state-of-art equipment for synthesis, characterization, and fabrication of 2D material-based energy harvesting and storage applications.
Integrated photovoltaic workstation
The workstation features (i) synthesis, spincoating and annealing area; (ii) thermal evaporator for deposition of conductive metals. Thus far, polymer, all-carbon and perovskite photovoltaics are the major systems we are working on.
Brand: KSV NIMA
MicroBAM enables the visualization of Langmuir monolayers or adsorbate films at the air-water interface for example as a function of packing density.
- Monolayer/film homogeneity. When combined with a KSV NIMA L & LB Trough, observation can be performed during compression/expansion at known surface pressures. Verifying the homogeneity of the monolayer already prior to deposition will speed up the research considerably.
- Optimizing the deposition parameters. For a high quality LB coating, the measurement parameters such as compression speed, waiting times, temperature and subphase content need to be optimized. With MicroBAM it is easy to study the effects of these parameters and choose the optimal conditions.
Langmuir layer structure and behavior studies
- Monolayer/film behavior. It is possible to observe phase changes, phase separation, domain size, shape and packing.
- Monitoring of surface reactions. For example, photochemical reactions, polymerization reactions as well as enzyme kinetics can be followed in real-time.
- Monitoring and detection of surface active materials. For example protein adsorption and nanoparticle flotation.
Confocal Raman from WITec
The WITec Raman microscope and imaging system combines an extremely sensitive confocal microscope with an ultrahigh-throughput spectroscopy system for unprecedented chemical sensitivity. A highly efficient combination of optical components such as filters, objectives and lenses used in conjunction with the most sensitive detectors available provide the highest spatial and spectral resolution.
The Raman system has a high throughput configuration, with the following specifications and modes of operation:
• Raman Spectral Imaging: acquisition of complete Raman spectra at every pixel (mapping)
• Acquisition of Raman spectra at selected areas (micro-Raman)
• 3D confocal Raman imaging
• Confocal microscopy in reflection
• Confocal fluorescence imaging
• Optical resolution: diffraction limited lateral typ. 250 nm @ 532 nm excitation wavelength (with objective NA 1.4)
• Sample size: max. 120 mm in x- and y-direction, 25 mm in height (for samples with larger height an adapter can be used)
• Wavelength range VIS and NIR, others optional, typ. detection from < 95 -ca. 4000 wavenumbers @ 532 nm excitation wavelength
• Optimized spectrometer and CCD detector each for VIS and NIR
Research grade optical microscope with 6x turret:
• Piezo-driven scan platform for sample scanning, continuous scan range up to 200um in x- and y-direction, 20um in z-direction, scan
hardware linearized with closed-loop feedback, scan resolution: position accuracy < 2nm in x- and y-direction and < 0.2nm in z- direction,
linearity better than 0.03%, achieved through capacitively controlled hardware linearization
• Video system: eyepiece color video camera
• Motorized z-stage system for automated approach, 30mm travel, single step 10 nm resolution
• Manual sample positioning in x- and y-direction, 20mm travel, gradation10um, resolution < 1um
• LED white-light source for Köhler illumination
• AFM extension with contact, lateral force and AC modes
PARK XE-100 AFM
Model: XE-100 AFM with optical head and Hysitron Triboscope adapter head
The XE-100 AFM provides the ultimate AFM/SPM solution for Non-Contact nanoscale metrology of small samples in data storage, semiconductors, materials science, polymers, electro chemistry and other applications in nanoscience and engineering.
XE-100 AFM with optical head that is capable of:
• True Non-Contact Mode
• Contact mode
• Intermittent mode
• Lateral Force Microscopy
• Force – distance spectroscopy
Signatone/Lakeshore Integrated Probe Station
For parametric testing that maximizes the productivity of technicians and engineers in R&D, the Model 4200-SCS Semiconductor Characterization System combines lab-grade DC and pulse device characterization, real-time plotting, and analysis with high precision and sub-femto amp resolution in a fully integrated characterization system. Options include the Model 4210-CVU Capacitance-Voltage Unit, Model 4225-PMU Ultra-Fast I-V Module, Model 4220-PGU Pulse Generator Unit, and Model 4225-RPM Remote Amplifier/Switch.
QE-R IPCE System
From Enli Tech. Inc (Taiwan), is a multifunctional work station for Photovoltaic measurement in tandem with determining the absolute external quantum efficiency (E.Q.E.) of photovoltaic device. It’s now used by target research center and solar cell manufacturers to improve the conversion efficiency.
Agilent UV/Vis Spectroscopy 8453
The Agilent 8453 UV-Visible spectrophotometer uses a photodiode array (PDA) for simultaneous measurement of the complete ultra-violet to visible light spectrum in less than one second. The PDA technique brings exceptional reliability and repeatability.
Spraybase High Throughput Electromechanical 3D Assembly
Electromechanical Assembly enables the synergistic coupling of dissimilar functional building blocks to afford unprecedented material properties at nano-to-micro scale.
Leica DM-2500 Optical Microscopy
The Leica DM2500 microscope is the ultimate tool for demanding tasks in pathology, cytology, haematology, and even for basic research applications. With its powerful 100W illumination, high-quality optical performance, and state of the art accessories, the Leica DM2500 is especially well suited for nanotechnology that requires differential interference contrast or high-performance fluorescence.
MTI OTF-1200X-S50-LVT CVD Tube Furnace
OTF-1200X-S50-LVT high temperature vacuum tube furnace is a split tube furnace for heating samples up to 1200°C. KF25 Gas Outlet and Digital Vacuum Gauge on the right flange connecting a 226L/m Mechanical Pump and Pump Filter while 1/4” barb gas inlet on the left, allows the furnace to heat sample in vacuum upto 1E-2 Torr or flowing gas. In addition,OMEGA 1/4’’ O.D K Type Thermal Couple comes to the left flange, can be inserted inside the tube to exactly measure the sample’s temperature by the readout from the OMEGA Calibrator. Precision temperature controller will provide 30 segments heating and cooling steps with +/- 1 °C accuracy.
The underlying principle of NIR-Technology resembles the way a microwave oven works. Microwaves activate the water molecules directly, in contrast to a conventional oven that has to heat up before the energy reaches the target costing or substrate. However, NIR-Technology’s electromagnetic waves have an effect not only on water, as do microwaves, but also, at the highest energy density, molecules of various substances. As a result, NIR-Technology can be implemented in a multitude of industrial processes using near-infrared radiation.